Sunday, September 02, 2007

Trip to Virginia

Sept 1-2, we went to the Williamsburg area in Virginia. We started out with a ferry ride from Scotland, VA, across the James River to Jamestown. Once across the James, we hit up the Williamsburg Welcome Center, a monstrous center that in and of itself required a map and tour guide. Next, we head back to Jamestown where we toured the first permanent settlement in America and walked in the footsteps of Pocahontas, John Smith, John Rolfe and others. Starving, we sought out dinner at Pierce's Bar-B-Que in Williamsburg, a joint made famous by Southern Living and Bon Apetit magazines. It certainly wasn't NC b-b-q, but it was pretty tasty, and the fries were delicious! Afterwards, we wandered into Colonial Williamsburg and walked around the streets. That was actually a lot neater than I expected. We sampled the original "death by chocolate" dessert a restaurant called the Trellis. After a fairly disappointing breakfast at our hotel, we struck out for Yorktown, a Revolutionary War town and battlefield. In addition to the neat colonial houses, the thing I liked best about Yorktown was walking along the beach of the York River.

After Yorktown, Noah and I headed up to Richmond where we met a college friend for lunch at the Strawberry Street Cafe.





Here are some of Noah's pictures.

3 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Blogger merritt said...

I've never been to Wmsburg and really want us to go there sometime. I'm glad you got to scope it out!

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Kelley C said...

I bet that is one of the 1000 places to see before you die. If I knew which box my book was in, I would look for you.

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Mark said...

kel - I'm sure it's in one of the boxes that Kiran has helpfully torn the label off of, but since I have my handy-dandy 1000 Places book here in the study, I will check for you.... yep, here it is... Colonial Williamsburg, p. 731.

"...Amazingly detailed open-air living history museum..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home